2011 Chinese New Year Celebration
More pictures taken by H. Ren
More pictures taken by Steve Thompson
More pictures taken by Kyle Huang
On January 22, 2011 at the Bell Cultural Events Center at MidAmerica Nazarene University in Olathe, KS, the Kansas City Chinese Association celebrated the Chinese new year and the coming year of the rabbit. Festivities included authentic Sichuan cuisine provided by Chuan Wang Fu from Olathe and then a night of musical and dance routines performed by talented children and adults in the Kansas City Chinese community.
KCCA was happy to kick off 2011’s new year’s celebration with an authentic Chinese meal. As everybody knows, one cannot have a proper ringing in of the Chinese new year without a large feast! The spices and flavors of the meal made everyone feel as though they were in the Middle Kingdom.
After the dinner, the hundreds of guests filled into the auditorium for the new year’s variety show.
The performances kicked off with a rousing drum performance by the Kansas City Chinese Drum Rollers. That was followed by an unbelievably cute red ribbon dance featuring young dancers from the Lily Zhangli Taylor Dance School.
Former president Daniel Xue gave a few words thanking everyone in attendance. Mr. Xue welcomed incoming president Chunming Ma. Mr. Ma then spoke about being in his new position and the ambitious plans he has for KCCA.
Following the words of the president, the guests were treated to several musical and theatrical performances:
In addition to all of these great performances, there was a raffle where many prizes were awarded. The top prize was an Amazon Kindle, second prize a pressure cooker from Ho's super market, and third prize a gift certificate to China Garden. Dozens of smaller prizes were given throughout the night.
- Piano solo of “Liu Yang River” from Yuntian Liu from the Ioudenitch Music Academy.
- Piano/violin rendition of “Jasmine Flower” from Yuntian Liu and Maria Ioudenitch.
- “Handkerchief dance” from the Silk Road Dance Academy choreographed by Lily Zhangli Taylor.
- Singing of “Climbing Moon” by Dong Li, Erdong, Chen, and Jiahao Yu.
- “Chopsticks Dance” by the HK Dance Group choreographed by HoiKei Ho
- Youth orchestra rendition of “Descendants of the Dragon” by Lucy Li, Alex Wang, Shulamite Lim, Michael Zhu, Jasmine Deng, Rachel Li Helen Peng, Teddy Tan, Elizabeth Liu, Luke Chen, Jack Chen, Kevin Xu, Mykell Ma, Angela Jiang directed by Lubomira Paskaleva-Kulzer.
- Dance solo of “Dream of the Butterfly” by Lili Zhangli Taylor.
- “Six Elbows Southern Kungfu” and “Golden Phoenix Fan Kungfu” by students of master Chunman Sit.
- Vocal performance of “Moonlight over the Lotus Pond” by Na Liu, Vivien Bai, and Lin Xu
- Dance performance of “The Avalanche of Grassland” by the Lily Zhangli Taylor Dance School.
- String performance of “Everlasting Friendship” by TJMK String Quartet.
- “Girls from Spain” dance performance by the Silk Road Dance Academy choreographed by Lily Zhangli Taylor.
- Choral performance of “Let Us Spread the Love” by youth performers.
It was a wonderful evening and we want to thank everybody who attended and who helped organize the festivities.
We hope to see you again next year!